Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Consolation

Ishq di mere mitra pehchan ki
mit jaye zidd jadon apnaan di

There are two possible ways to approach this beautiful, yet dubious saying in Punjabi.

The first interpretation is quite straightforward, though it seem somewhat difficult to experience or imagine for most of the people. To me it means that love for you filled me with so much of love for every one, that now I see you everywhere. I see your smile on every face, I listen to your giggle in every sound, I see your compassion in all deeds, I see your passion in every whim. I am smitten with all you have given to me. Now, when I feel near to God why do I need a physical self of yours?

Some people say that this proverb is written as a consolation for the lovers who failed in achieving their love. I don't know if it has helped me anyway, but a few things I am really sure of - I always want to see her happy. I want to take care of her, even when she doesn't belong to me and not given me the right to do so.

Others think that this should be interpreted as :
Ishq di mere mitra pehchan ki
mit jaye, zidd jadon apnaan di

Here the, comma after jaye, completely changes its interpretation. Now it seems, that the lover will go any extremes, even looses himself, when he determines to reach his love. But love does not teach us to go extremes and do stupid destructive things. This can not be the message of Love. Love inspires, fills life with beauty, makes us happy - that is the how it binds all humanity. To me this can never be the correct interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment